Explorer Guide to Novels - promoting Individualized Reading as well as Individualized Instruction. Each Explorer Guide consists of Four Novels to Study in depth , all approved by Alberta Education. Includes notes on the Novel; alignment to Alberta Education Outcomes; Assessments and Assignments with detailed explanations and rubrics. Junior High and High School levels.
Ultimate Poetry Package Junior High and Ultimate Poetry Package High School– making teaching and learning of poetry enjoyable and impactful. A portfolio approach to teaching poetry including style features of poetry; comparison of prose and poetry; complete descriptions of common poetry types; literacy strategies; and student centred activities.
3. Reading Comprehension Assessment Success - practice to understand and learn the assessment skills required for students to improve their reading comprehension assessment performance. Student guides available for grades 3 to grade 12. Each book consists of passages and hundreds of questions specific to the grade level; a First Step Self Test to determine which specific skill areas require improvement; and sets of practice questions categorized into specific skill areas. There are 10 guides available.
We offer various workshops, which can be tailored to your school’s specific needs.
1. Improving Reading Comprehension Performance - Unpacking the skills required to improve success on reading comprehension assessments
2. 30 day Edu-Best Reading Challenge – inspire reading of all genres by creating a challenge the whole school plays a part in.
3. Year -End Assessment Preparation - Preparing your students for the writing portions of their year-end assessments.
4. Individualized Novel Studies and Literary Circles – Make them successful learning experiences.
To date, Castle Rock Research’s most ambitious educational undertaking is SOLARO – Student Oriented Learning, Assessment, and Reporting Online. SOLARO is a learning resource for Math, Science, and English Language Arts that is accessible online and on mobile devices. Castle Rock has launched SOLARO for all 26 courses identified by the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics across grades three to twelve. SOLARO provides age appropriate, standards-aligned educational content consisting of lessons, activities, practice exercises, quizzes, and detailed solutions. Content, in the form of text, graphics, or multimedia (including audio, video, and animation), is available 24 hours a day in a well-organized, searchable, and highly engaging system. SOLARO is designed to respond to the needs of the three major stakeholders in education: students, parents, and teachers. For more information on SOLARO or to view a demonstration, please visit: https://app.solaro.com
The SOLARO Project video is found at: SOLARO Project
Students can use SOLARO to study independently, complete assigned homework, create notes and flashcards, take practice tests, participate in academic discussions, view progress reports, review their achievements, and earn rewards through a built-in incentive program. Work that has been assigned to students as homework is accessible from any networked computer. In addition to complete access to all content on their desktop or laptop computer, students will also have the same functionality on Android, iOS, and Windows 8.1 based tablets and phones. SOLARO provides a secure and guided online environment for students as they study course content, work on exercises, and take assessments.
The SOLARO teacher interface makes it easy to manage a full suite of classes and students. The assignment generator feature in SOLARO allows instructors to assemble customized assignments using content from various course topics, chapters, and even individual lessons, all linked back to the relevant standards. These assignments may be provided to students digitally or in print. Immediate scoring and reporting enables teachers to track performance and helps them to determine where further instruction or remediation may be needed at the individual or class level.
In addition to the rich repository of content available in SOLARO that has been developed exclusively by Castle Rock Research’s team of curriculum experts, instructional designers, editors, graphic artists, and technologists, the customizable media library in SOLARO allows teachers to inject their own materials or external links which they may wish to share with their students.
The SOLARO parent interface provides detailed reports of each child’s account. These easy to read reports show the activities that have been completed, explain their child’s progress, demonstrate the level of achievement on tests and assignments, and indicate deficiencies which may need to be addressed.